With User Profile Sync now available for SharePoint 2013, we’ve prepared a series of posts to help acclimate users to the new platform.
Before we begin, you will need to create a Contact List in the source site collection and add some AD users to the list, as pictured in the example below:
Additionally, you will need to have a target site collection with which you will be syncing your data.
Now you are ready to open User Profile Sync and sync your data from Contact List to SharePoint Site Collection Profiles. Step–step directions ( tab) for this process are as follows:
In the “Settings” Tab
- Open the User Profile Sync program.
- In Sync Type, select the Contact List to SharePoint Site Collection Profiles option.
- In SharePoint Server or Site Collection, input the source URL.
- In SharePoint Server or Site Collection to copy, input the target URL.
- In Select Contact List, choose the list name that you want to use.
- In the Select Account Name Column, choose the column which contains the correct user name.
- If you want to add new/additional users, select the Automatically add Users checkbox.
- If you want to delete users that exist in the target User Info list but do not exist in the source User Info list, select the Automatically add Users checkbox.*
*Please note that User Profile Sync will automatically update a user’s information if the user exists on both the source list and the target list.
- Select SharePoint Group(s) in the target site collection:
In the “Access Account” tab:
User Profile Sync supports three different authentication types:
- Classic/NTLM: Uses the logged-in user on your server who exists on the site collection administrators group to access
- Claims-Based Authentication: Uses existing users on the site collection administrators group
- Forms-Based Authentication: Uses existing users the on-site collection administrators group
In the “Properties” tab
- Map columns between SharePoint User Info List and Contact List. Please note that that the mapped columns must be of the same data type.
- Click the Run button.
In the “Log” tab:
- You can check the status of each user after the data import has been completed.
- You will have three different radio buttons that you can now choose between Show Failures, Show Successes, and Show All:
Finally, go to the Target User Info to see the result of your data import:
As with all Bamboo products, we invite you to download a 30-day free trial of User Profile Sync. As always, our product enhancements are driven by listening to our loyal customers, and we welcome your feedback in the User Profile Sync forum.
Read the entire User Profile Sync for
SharePoint 2013 User’s Guide series:
- User Profile Sync for SharePoint 2013 User’s Guide, Part 1: How to Sync Data from AD
to a Contact List
- User Profile Sync for SharePoint 2013 User’s Guide, Part 2: How to Sync Data from AD
to SharePoint Site Collection Profiles
- User Profile Sync for SharePoint 2013 User’s Guide, Part 3: How to Sync Data from a
Contact List to SharePoint Site Collection Profiles
- User Profile Sync for SharePoint 2013 User’s Guide, Part 4: How to Sync Data from
One SharePoint Site Collection Profile to a Different SharePoint Site