Calendar Plus Web Part has long been an indispensable tool (and a bestseller), with which you can display events and tasks on a calendar from various data sources, such as SharePoint lists, List Rollup, SQL databases, and BDC/BCS. With our latest release, Calendar Plus Web Part 4.5, we’ve included a host of new features such as Runtime Filter View for multiple lists; more columns available to select for filtering; the ability to sort in Gantt view; and the ability to dynamically filter calendars using Web Part Connections and List Filter Web Part.
To help celebrate the release of Calendar Plus Web Part 4.5, we have put together a brand-new series that will walk you through how to use the product’s newest and most popular features. Here in Part 5, we will show you how to use Bamboo List Rollup Schema to display your data in the Calendar Plus Web Part.
In the Calendar Plus Web Part Settings menu, click on Data Source Type under the heading Data Source Settings.
From there, click on the radio button next to Bamboo Solutions List Rollup.
A new window will appear that will walk you through the steps needed to use Bamboo Solutions List Rollup as your Calendar Plus Data Source:
Step1 – List Rollup Type
Click on the radio button next to List Rollup Schema.
Step 2 – List Rollup Data View Page URL or List Rollup Schema Site URL
In this step, you can enter the site URL where the List Rollup view is housed. You have the option of entering either a static URL or a relative URL. After you have entered your desired URL, click Load List Rollup Data Views. In this example, we’ll be using the following page: /HW24-LRU.
Step 3 – List Rollup Data View or Schema to Display
Select the List Rollup Schema that you would like displayed on Calendar Plus. In this example, we’ve selected the schema, Calen Shema.
Step 4 – Base Columns
The Base Columns represent the data that will be displayed on the Web Part. Under Step 4, input the following data, as applicable to your List or Library:
- Item Display Column: Select the data type which will be displayed for items in calendar views (e.g., Title).
- Start Date: Select the start date column type in the list or library which will be displayed for items in calendar views (e.g., Start Time).
- End Date: Select the end date column type in the list or library which will be displayed for items in calendar views (e.g., End Time).
Step 5 – Filter Data
Under Step 5, you will configure the filtering settings for your calendar. Your options include the ability to Show all items and Specify Filter Conditions.
- Show All Items: Display all items from your view (in this example, Calen Shema) on the Web Part:
- Specify Filter Conditions: Select one or more columns to filter. With this option, you can add additional conditions, defining how each condition is joined using the And and Or operand options.
- For example, if you select ‘All Day Events’, ‘is equal to’, ‘Yes’ or ‘Location’, ‘is equal to’ ‘Switzerland’ then the calendar will display all the items which have ‘All Day Events’ listed as ‘Yes,’ or have the ‘Location’ listed as ‘Switzerland.’
- After you have finished entering your desired settings and filters, click Save and Close > Apply > OK.
- Navigate to the Calendar Plus Web Part to view your calendar with the filters set above.
Step 6 – Columns to Display in Item Tooltip
You can select columns from Available Columns to display on the tooltip.
After you have selected your desired columns, click Save and Close > Apply > OK.
Navigate to the Calendar Plus Web Part. You will see that your calendar now has the tooltip you selected above displayed:
Step 7 – Column for Description
Select a column that will be displayed in Work Week and Day views (e.g., Description).
Step 8 – Item Identification
In this step, you will establish the color coding for your calendar. You are able to select the colors which will be displayed for each column in your calendar view with the following options:
- Column to Color Code: Select Solid Colors or Gradient Colors.
- Column to Identify by Icon: Click on this box to provide a URL image of the icon to use.
Once you have finished with Step 8, click Save & Close on the Calendar Plus Web Part Settings window.
Next, click Apply, and then OK on the Web Part Tool Pane. Your List Rollup Data View will now be displayed on the Calendar Plus Web Part.
Want more Calendar Plus Web Part 4.5? Check out the rest of our User’s Guide series:
- Part 1: Introduction to Preferences and General Settings
- Part 2: How to Add and Display a List or Library
- Part 3: How to Display a SQL Server Table or View
- Part 4: How to Use the Bamboo List Rollup Data View to Display Your Data
- Part 5: How to Use the Bamboo List Rollup Schema to Display Your Data
- Part 6: How to Use Microsoft Business Connectivity Services to Integrate External Applications
- Part 7: Introduction to View Settings