Part Three: Getting Data from a SharePoint list with Virtual Map View.
SharePoint allows organizations to quickly build a shared database of information through the use of lists. SharePoint lists can be used to display information in various formats and can be tailored for use by different sets of users. These display formats include standard lists, calendars, and even other custom display types such as our Gantt chart view.
One of the display formats that SharePoint is missing out-of-the-box is a Map View for displaying geographic data. For example, displaying address fields in a contact list or a customer list on a map that can be used to manage sales and marketing efforts.
The Virtual Map View product allows users to display data points as markers in a Google map or Microsoft Bing map using a SharePoint List or SQL table or view as the data source.
Challenge: Your Company has 1000 employees. Do you want to control their locations? How do you show all of them on Virtual Map View Web Part?
Note: Virtual Map View supports getting data from all of SharePoint list types on the current site.
In this article, I present an example showing how to get data from your Contact List.
1. Let’s create a Contact list type on a site where Virtual Map View is located.
Make sure that the list has the four following columns:
See the picture below:
- In the Select Data Source section. Select SharePoint list option.
- In Select List to Display in Map section
Select List Name
Select List View Name
- In Geocoding Section: Select four columns: Address, City, State, Country for each dropdown list.
- In Select Map to Display section: you can select 1 in 2 options such as Google Map or Bing Map.
- In Display Options section
Marker Type: There are a lot of types for Marker. Select one of them:
Use Multiple Markers: Please see: Part One: How to configure Multiple Markers for Virtual Map View and Part Two: How to Customize the Marker Type in Virtual Map View
– Marker Tab title: if we select the Show tabs checkbox, the textbox will be enabled for inputting titles. Besides it, the Display Columns list box will show three tabs.
– Show tabs checkbox:
– If you uncheck Show tabs checkbox, it displays a hyperlink for the tabs when the mouse hovers over the marker
– If you check on the Show tabs checkbox, it displays the button for the tabs when the mouse hovers over the marker like this:
– Column to display in Navigation pane: Displaying the data of the column on the left pane.
Click Apply and OK.
If you select Google Maps radio button, Map View will display as follows:
When clicking on the address hyperlink on the left pane, you will see all information displayed on the Tab.
If you select Bing Maps radio button, Map View will display as follows: