The Product Catalog for SharePoint 2013 is a helpful template that allows you to create a site where data can easily be published, using Search, to other sites. The Product Catalog can be applied to both intranet and extranet sites and is easily managed through admin pages.
In our new four-part series, we introduce you to the Product Catalog for SharePoint 2013 and show you how to set up and utilize some of its key features. Here in part two, we’ll walk you through the steps needed to create items for the Products list in your Product Catalog.
By default, a Products list will be created when you create your Product Catalog. However, the Product list will not contain any data – you will need to add items to it to populate it.
When you look at the General Settings for your Product list, you will see that under Columns,
for the Item Category column, the type is listed as Managed Metadata:
Creating terms for Product Catalog hierarchy:
Before you begin creating items for your list, you will first, need to create terms for the Product Hierarchy Term Set.
1. To begin, click on the Settings icon and choose Site Settings:
Alternatively, you can add terms to your term set by selecting the option Manage item hierarchy in Term Store:
Creating catalog items:
1. To begin, go to the Product Catalog site.
2. Select Add catalog items:
3. Click on New item to add a new item to your Product list:
5. Once you have finished entering in all the necessary information for your item, Click Save:
6. Return to your Product Catalog site. You will now see the the item you added above included on your Products
Check out the rest of the series: