The latest release of SharePoint Knowledge Base Solution Accelerator (KBSA) R2.0 is now available, and one of the many new features in this release is the ability to perform an upgrade of KBSA using Microsoft’s database attach and upgrade method and Bamboo’s upgrade tool. Follow the steps below to perform an in-place upgrade of KBSA.
- SharePoint Knowledge Base Solution Accelerator R2.0 (KBSA)
- SharePoint 2010 (Foundation and Server)
Follow the steps below to perform an upgrade of SharePoint Knowledge Base Solution Accelerator from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010 using the database attach and upgrade method. For more information on this method, please see the following Microsoft articles:
- Upgrade and Migration for SharePoint Server 2010
- Attach Databases and Upgrade to SharePoint Server 2010
See the Known Issues and Limitations section below for descriptions of known issues and limitations regarding the in-place upgrade.
Performing a Database Detach/Attach and Upgrade of SharePoint Knowledge Base Solution Accelerator:
1) In your SharePoint 2007 environment, upgrade your existing KBSA sites from either R1.2 or R1.5 to R2.0 for SharePoint 2007. See KB.12683 How to upgrade Knowledge Base Solution Accelerator for SharePoint 2007 to 2.0 or newer for more information. (Note: Versions older than R1.2 are no longer supported.).
2) Back up your content database for the port that contains the KB Admin and KB Client sites, such as port 80. For more information, see this Microsoft article on backing up databases.
3) In your SharePoint 2010 environment, create a new Web application using a new port, such as 81. For more information, see this Microsoft article on creating a new Web application.
Note: If you are creating new sites in your SharePoint 2010 environment, you can use port 80. If you have existing sites in port 80, you must use a different port and create new sites for KB Admin and KB Client. This is because when you dismount or delete the content database for the new port (such as 81) and then override the new database (for port 81) with the old content database (for port 80), the data in the database for port 81 will be lost.
4) Deploy SharePoint Knowledge Base Solution Accelerator for R2.0 for SharePoint 2010 to this Web application. See SharePoint Knowledge Base Solution Accelerator online documentation for more information about deploying SharePoint Knowledge Base Solution Accelerator to new Web applications.
5) Dismount or delete the content database for the new port, such as port 81. (Bamboo recommends dismounting the database.) See these Microsoft articles for more information on dismounting or deleting content databases.
6) Restore the content database from your SharePoint 2007 environment to your SharePoint 2010 environment overriding the existing database for the new port, such as port 81, in SQL Server. The account restoring the database must have permissions to the database. See this Microsoft article on restoring content databases for more information.
7) Add the content database. See this Microsoft article for more information on adding databases. In SharePoint Central Administration > Manage Web Applications > Manage Content Databases, the Database Status for the content database should be Upgrading.
8) Restart Internet Information Services (IIS) navigating to Start > Run. Enter iisreset and press Enter.
9) Open the old KB Admin sites. Click on Site Actions. Select Visual Upgrade. Select Update the user interface under Visual Upgrade. Click OK. You should see the new user interface for the KB Admin sites after the Visual Upgrade is done.
10) Open the old KB Client sites. Enter the URL http://<servername:port/KB client sitename>/_layouts/prjsetng.aspx to go to the Visual Upgrade page. Select Update the user interface under Visual Upgrade. Click OK. You should see the new user interface for the KB Client sites after the Visual Upgrade has completed.
11) Activate the license key for SharePoint Knowledge Base Solution Accelerator for SharePoint 2010. See the following KB articles for more information about licensing:
- KB.12626: How to Migrate My Existing Bamboo Product License Key From SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010
- KB.12498: How to Install and Activate a License for Bamboo Products in SharePoint 2010
12) SharePoint Knowledge Base Solution Accelerator has successfully been migrated from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010.
Known Issues and Limitations
See below for information about known issues and limitations. For additional information, see the release notes.
- For the KB Client Meeting Workspace template from SharePoint 2007, we do not support the migration and upgrade of the template to R2.0 for SharePoint 2010.
- Users are unable to change the choices in the Article Status drop-down in the KB Admin site.
- Unable to change List Name in KBAdmin site.
- No German or other language site templates available in R2.0