SharePoint is a platform for building and deploying collaborative solutions. It is a centralized Web portal that tracks content and documents as well as users, audiences, and teams.
SharePoint 2016 in look and feel is nearly like SharePoint 2013 and was improved in architecture to support cloud solutions and hybrid deployment.
This article describes the SharePoint 2016 deployment details for development or evaluation installation with the minimum recommended services and creates a new server farm.
- Hardware Requirements
12 GB RAM, 80 GB for the system drive, and 100 GB for the second drive.
- Operating System Requirements
- SharePoint Server 2016 is supported on Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server Technical Preview.
SharePoint 2016 requires .NET Framework 4.5.2 or higher.
For the prerequisite installer to run, Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 update: April 2014 (KB2919355) have to be installed.
The SharePoint Server 16 Prerequisite Installer (prerequisiteinstaller.exe) installs the prerequisites if it has not already been installed on the target server.
The System Requirements and the list of Prerequisites can be referenced here.
The prerequisites installation is as shown below.
Prerequisites installation will take some time and will also ask for multiple restarts. After the restart, re-run the installer file and run prerequisites. This process continues until all the prerequisites are installed successfully.
After completion, you can see the installation status.
Now, we are good to install SharePoint 2016.
SharePoint Server 2016 Installation
- After the perquisites installation, click on the SharePoint Server 2016 installation. Setup will first prepare the installation files, verify prerequisites, and then will start the installation. If any errors related to the language are displayed (For example, “The language of this installation package is not supported by your system“) during the start of the installation, then the required language pack (can be downloaded from the Microsoft download center) has to be installed before the Server installation. Once the language pack is installed, enter the Product Key for the SharePoint Server 2016 on the first screen of the server installation. Accept the license terms and click Continue. Choose the file location for the SharePoint server and search server files. Search index files will be stored on a local hard drive which can be very large. Make sure that there is sufficient free space in the selected drive.Click Install Now to start the installation. The installation will take a few minutes to complete.
Select the checkbox that automatically starts the product configuration wizard after the installation and close the installation wizard. The product configuration wizard can be started manually as well.
SharePoint Product Configuration Wizard
The configuration wizard will start a welcome screen, click next to continue. The following services may have to be started or reset during configuration:
- Internet Information Services
- SharePoint Administration Service
- SharePoint Timer Service
- Choose yes to restart the services if required and continue with the configuration wizard. Select Create a new server farm option from the next step as shown in the below screen. Enter the database server details and database access account details. The database access account should have the following database server roles.
- DB creator
- After the database settings are completed, click next which will provide the Farm security settings page. Enter the passphrase which is required to secure the farm configuration data and is required for each server that joins the farm. Below is the installation setup for a Single-Server Farm. On the next screen, the port number for Central Admin can be specified or the default port number, which is selected randomly, can be used. Select NTLM installation mode at this phase and click next. Verify the settings in the configuration wizard, and click next to start the wizard. Click the Next button to start the product configuration.
Run the Farm Configuration wizard from Central Administration where the farm can be configured manually or through the wizard.
Below is the SharePoint Central Administration Page once the Product Configuration completes.