As mentioned in the release announcement post, World Clock & Weather App for SharePoint 2013 Now Available at the Microsoft Office Store, one of the many new features in the new SharePoint 2013 (Beta release) is a new-to-SharePoint concept called Apps. Yes in some cases, Apps amount to a rebranding of Web Parts, but Apps also introduce a new (well, a redesigned) Sandbox Solutions concept, allowing users to install and deploy Apps without requiring server-side installation or IT Administrator support (in most cases). Bamboo Solutions had the good fortune of having Microsoft invite us to be a part of the initial launch of Apps; it was an honor to be invited, and a pleasure to accept. We started thinking immediately about which of our products should be the first to make its debut as an App, and the answer quickly became clear: our most downloaded product, the much-loved World Clock and Weather Web Part! This post provides you the necessary steps to install, configure, and begin using the new App.
NOTE: This App is only supported in SharePoint 2013 (Foundation and Server), which is currently in Beta and is not accessible for those running SharePoint 2007 or SharePoint 2010. If you are running SharePoint 2007 or SharePoint 2010, please download the World Clock and Weather Web Part from the Bamboo Solutions Storefront for free.
How to Add the World Clock and Weather App from Microsoft Store
The first step is to add the World Clock and Weather App from the Microsoft Store. NOTE: There is also a store called Enterprise Store which includes your company's local authorized apps stored in a Corporate Catalog. We will discuss this option further in a later blog.
- Open the SharePoint Site to which you want to add the World Clock and Weather App.
- In the upper right-hand corner, click the settings icon that looks like a small gear (). This will display a drop-down menu.
- Select the option Add an app from the menu:
- In the left-hand navigation bar, select the option SharePoint Store to open the Microsoft Online Store:
- When the Microsoft SharePoint Store opens, a listing of available apps will be displayed:
Locate and click on World Clock & Weather App, then select ADD IT to add it to your Site's available apps:
Add World Clock & Weather App to the Page
The next step is to add the newly acquired app to your desired page.
- Place the page into edit page mode by clicking the Page tab on the Ribbon, then Edit Page:
- Next, place the text cursor at the location where you want the app to appear, then select the Insert tab on the Ribbon, and the App Part button:
- In the new Parts section, select App Packages then locate World Clock and Weather and select Add, found in the lower right-hand corner of the Parts section:
Save the page by clicking the Page tab on the Ribbon, then Save:
Configuring World Clock and Weather App
After having successfully added the App to a page, it's now time to configure.
- Notice that the initial city that is selected by default is Reston, VA, home of Bamboo Solutions Corporation. 🙂 To add (or remove, if you really want to) locations, click the small plus "+" symbol ("-" to remove) located in the top right-hand corner of any location displayed in the App. NOTE: these changes will be reflected to all individuals:
- A new window will appear called Manage Locations:
- To add a new location, enter the name of the location. The search supports partial address, so for example, if I want to locate Redmond, Washington, I can simply enter Redmond, and all matches will appear in the Search Resolve Locations list box. If I want to find Paris, France, I simply enter Paris and then locate Paris, FRA from the results:
- Select the green checkmark () to add it to the Selected Locations list box. Once added, you can further select the temperature measurement (C = Celsius, and F = Fahrenheit):
- To remove a location, simply click the green
Select Save to save your changes.
Using World Clock and Weather App
The World Clock and Weather App provides a variety of information:
Upon selecting the right arrow next to Temperature, the 5-day forecast for that location will appear:
We hope that you find this to be a useful App. If you have any feedback or problems, feel free to contact us in our online Support Forum.