With the increased focus on the search in SharePoint 2013, it’s only natural that Microsoft has likewise amped up its analytics engine. One of the new reporting features in SharePoint 2013 is the Most Popular Items function. This all-new Analytics Processing Component allows you to generate usage reports for items in SharePoint lists and/or libraries. In this post, we’ll show you how to use the Most Popular Items feature to capture statistics based on different popularity criteria.
As mentioned above, this feature can be applied to both SharePoint lists and libraries. In this example, we’ll be generating reports from a SharePoint Document Library.
Using the Most Popular Items Feature:
1. Log into SharePoint 2013 and navigate to your Document Library.
2. In the Ribbon, click the Library Tab and select Most Popular Items:
3. After clicking Most Popular Items, you will be taken to the following screen:
4. From here, you will be given the option of choosing three different types of search results for your report:
- Most Views
- Most Views by Unique Users
- Most Recommendation Clicks
In this example, we will be searching for results based on Most Views.
5. On the Most Popular Items report page, you will notice on the left that you have the option of narrowing down your results based on a number of different criteria. The criteria are:
- Result type
- Modified date
Click the different criteria that apply to the reporting statistics you wish to generate. In this example, we’ll be creating a Most Popular Items report of PowerPoint documents based on Most Views.
6. In addition to the criteria listed on the left side of the page, you can also narrow down your results based on a specific term and/or value. Simply type the text which you wish to search in the box that is to the right of the drop-down menu where Most Views is listed. In this example, we’ll be creating a Most Popular Items report of documents containing “aaa” based on Most Views.
After you have entered your desired text, simply click the Search icon and your results will be displayed: