New in SharePoint 2013, Promoted Links is an additional list type introduced Microsoft for the most recent release of the platform. The all-new list type has many of the same properties you’ve come to rely on in the previous link list type options, plus a host of new properties for managing links, such as “View link with background image” and “Manage target to navigate link.” In this article, we’ll walk through the process of creating a Promoted Links list, as well as some of the list type’s key features.
Create a Promoted Links List:
- Select the Promoted Links tile to create a new list:
- When prompted, assign a name to your list. In this example, we’ll be using the list name “ProLinks”:
- After clicking Create, we can now view our new Promoted Links list:
Add a promoted link:
- In our Promoted Links list, there are two available viewing options: Tiles and All Promoted Links.
– Tiles will display each link with a background image (similar to how images look in the picture library). In this view, we can only see the link and select it to navigate to the link.
– All Promoted Links will display all of the links in your link list. In this view, we can add new links as well as edit items.
- In order to add a new link in your Promoted Links list, go to All Promoted Links and click New Item. In order to save the new link to your Promoted Links list, you will need to enter certain pieces of information about the link, such as Title and Link Location:
- Once you have finished adding your new item, you can switch to the Tile view to see your links displayed as tiles using the image you assigned to them, as shown in the picture below:
Manage how to navigate to promoted links:
- When you were adding your new links to your Promoted Links list, you probably noticed that there was a drop-down list titled Launch Behavior. In this drop-down, you are given three options for how your link, when selected, will launch:
– In page navigation – Link will open in the current browser window:
– Dialog – Link will open in a dialog window:
– New tab – Link will open in a new tab in the current browser window: