SharePoint 2013 adds many new features to Lists. In this article, we’ll take a look at how to import Data from a SQL table into a .bdcm file using SharePoint Designer 2013. As you know, the Business Data Connectivity (BDC) Service enables SharePoint to display business data from back-end server applications, Web services, and databases. This walkthrough shows you how to create a model for the BDC service that returns information about contacts in a sample database.
We have the following two parts to configure:
1. In the first part of this post, I will demonstrate how to get Data from a SQL table through SharePoint Designer 2013.
2. In the second part, we’ll look at how to import a Database into a .bdcm file using SharePoint Designer 2013.
I. How to get Data from a SQL table through SharePoint Designer 2013
- Step 1: Make sure that you’ve created a Northwind database in SQL Server:
- Step 2: Go to SharePoint Designer 2013 and click on the Open Site icon:
- An Open Site dialog box is shown. You must input the site URL into the Site Name textbox to create the External List.
- Click the Open button:
- The Windows Security dialog is shown, requesting your User Name and Password:
- Step 3: Go to SharePoint Designer to connect the database with SQL Server as follows:
- Click on the External Content Types menu on the left pane.
- Then, select the External Content Types icon at the top.
- In External Content Type Information, type its Name and click on the External System hyperlink to connect to SQL Server.
You will see a Connection window appear:
- Click the Add Connection button:
- You’ll see a dialog appear, prompting you to select Data Source Type as pictured below. Select SQL Server:
- After selecting the Data Source Type, fill in the SQL information fully, including Database Server, Database Name, and Secure store Application ID as shown below:
- Step 4: After connecting successfully, you’ll see Northwind database shown on Data Source Explorer as shown below. We’ll select a Table to create in here right-clicking Table Name and selecting Create All Operations:
- A Parameter Configuration is shown after that. Select as many columns as you need, and click the Finish button to complete:
- Finally, don’t forget to click the Save button after you’re done. This is pretty important, for obvious reasons:
- Now, we have a Northwind database in place, as expected:
II. How to import a Database into a .bdcm file using SharePoint Designer 2013
- Go to External Content Type and click on the Export BDC Model Manage icon in the Ribbon:
- Type a File Name and select the location to which you want to save the file:
- You will see the .bdcm file after clicking the Save button:
- Open the .bdcm file. You will see the structure of the Data Table which you created before:
The cloud parts are functional components that extend your SharePoint Online environment in Microsoft 365.
Supports Classic and Modern sites for SharePoint Online/Microsoft 365
Small Business Pricing and Discounts
These web parts extend SharePoint beyond its out-of-the-box capabilities by tailoring it to your requirements with Bamboo Solution’s growing portfolio of SharePoint Web Parts.
SharePoint 2016, 2019, 2022 – Classic Pages Only
Our team of Microsoft 365 Technology Consultants helps you get the most out of your Microsoft technology, we have the best Microsoft 365 talent to streamline your organization.
Consulting to Streamline Your Department