Yeah! We’re excited to cheer the birth announcement of what has now been officially named SharePoint 2013. Sure, it’s just a preview version for now, but that ba gives us a first glimpse at the new look and feel of the 2013 platform, and yes, it uses the metro style. SharePoint 2013 brings with it a new feature called “SharePoint Apps,” which are small, easy to use, standalone productivity solutions that address a specific end user need. How can you preview SharePoint 2013? Luckily, Microsoft has made an online trial available for download, Office 365 Preview, which includes SharePoint 2013. In this post, I’ll use the Office 365 Preview to help show you how to add an app from the Microsoft Office Store to your SharePoint site.
First, register your account for the Office 365 Preview here (takes about five minutes), then perform the following steps:
- Click the settings icon next to your name and select Add an app:
- The list of apps you can add will be displayed here. Click SharePoint Store in the left navigation:
- Select your language at the top right-hand side of the site, and all featured apps will be displayed. Select the app that interests you:
- For this example, I’ve selected “KODAK Capture Office Software” (because it’s free). Click to ADD IT:
- Yep, you just got that app and are now ready to make it available for use everyone in your organization. Click MANAGE LICENSE to manage the license of the app:
- A confirm dialog will ask, “Do you trust me?” You do, so click Trust It:
- Go back to your apps in the site contents, and you will see your new app among them:
- Click to it, or to any app that you want to add to your site. Trust it again:
- SharePoint is adding your app:
Note: You might need an account with Microsoft to get an app here, so input your email and password if required.
Congratulations! The app will look like this:
That’s all there is to it. I hope you find this article helpful.
- SharePoint 2013 Preview Summary – Managing Your Current SharePoint 2010 Initiative with 2013 in Mind
- SharePoint 2013 Preview
- First look at new Office 15 Preview with SharePoint 2013, Outlook Web App 2013, and metro interface
- World Clock & Weather App for SharePoint 2013 Now Available at the Microsoft Office Store