Using SharePoint for ECM, the new AIIM report released a week ago today, focuses on a number of different sectors of interest including: SharePoint Adoption and Scale, Deployment, SharePoint 2010 Experiences, Business Process and Third-Party Integration, Forward Strategies, and Governance.
A sampling of the survey results in the Forward Strategies sector include:
53% of respondents overall consider SharePoint to be their primary ECM system going forward – exclusively for 31%, but 22% will use it in conjunction with their existing systems.
- For 27% overall, their existing systems, or a new, non-SharePoint system, will remain the key content management mechanism.
- 15% of respondents will be retiring their existing system in favor of SharePoint.
- 29% of respondents are happy to use the new Record Center functionality within SharePoint, whereas 41% will continue to utilize their existing records management systems.
- 35% have no long-term retention strategy, including 27% of even the largest organizations.
- Of the 55% of organizations who have plans to adopt social business systems, 36% will stick to the native capabilities in SharePoint, with 15% using an add-on product or integration.
- Larger organizations are more interested in social business systems overall (68%).
Do any of these results strike you as surprising? The one that leaps out at me is that 35% of respondents have no long-term retention strategy, including 27% of even the largest organizations, a statistic that the AIIM report describes as "worrying." It seems to me that "worrying" might even be soft-pedaling this particular finding; I might've gone with "alarming" myself.
Tomorrow, we'll conclude our look at the AIIM report's findings with a sampling of the survey findings related to Governance.
Download your free copy of AIIM's free ECM industry report at: http://www.aiim.org/Research/Industry-Watch/SharePoint-2011.
Our look at the findings in the AIIM report:
- AIIM Releases 'Using SharePoint for ECM' Survey Results
- SharePoint Adoption & Scale Findings in the 'Using SharePoint for ECM' AIIM Report
- SharePoint Deployment Findings in the 'Using SharePoint for ECM' AIIM Report
- Findings Related to SharePoint 2010 Experiences in the 'Using SharePoint for ECM' AIIM Report
- Business Process and Third-party Integration Findings in the 'Using SharePoint for ECM' AIIM Report
- Forward Strategies Findings in the 'Using SharePoint for ECM' AIIM Report