SharePoint 2016 has provided UI changes for us, due to SharePoint 2016 being built from the Cloud-Up. This means users can use a lot of features on Office 365. Besides, there are limitations to Service Applications like Excel Services Applications.
Let’s see Excel Services Applications in SP2013.
In SP2016, it’s hidden.
That’s the reason we can’t open the Excel file to review directly. We must download it to our computer like this…
We even have to log in on the file to review the contents.
In this article, I’ll show you how to activate Excel Services Applications in SP2016.
Step 1: Install Office Online Server. Click here for more details.
Step 2: Configure SharePoint 2016 Preview.
1. Log on to the SharePoint 2016 box and run the SharePoint 2016 Management Shell as an administrator
2. Create a binding between SharePoint and Office Online Server New-SPWOPIBinding -ServerName <servername> -AllowHTTP
For example: New-SPWOPIBinding-ServerName Officeonline -AllowHTTP
Click Enter and you will see the screen like this…
3. Change the WOPI Zone to use HTTP
Set-SPWOPIZone -zone “internal-http”
4. Change the AllowOAuthOverHttp
5. Test the configuration by opening a document from SharePoint 2016. Make sure that you do not log in on the site through System Account.
If you log on to SharePoint Server 2016 through System Account, you cannot test the connection between SharePoint Server 2016 and Office Online Server. And you will see the error as pictured below.
Please log on with a different account to test the connection.
Now, you can open the Excel file directly.